The Bayou Gardener Family
woodchip gardener

peach tree

The peach tree was a bust this year.  I had tons of flowers in the spring just as a weird frost hit.  Then it did set some fruit, but most dropped off or the bugs got them.  I got exactly 1 peach off the tree that was edible.  it was tasty tho!

• Like 1

It was so wet here that nothing hardly got pollenated. We seem to get a good crop once every 5 years or so.

Wade

5 hours ago, woodchip gardener said:

The peach tree was a bust this year.  I had tons of flowers in the spring just as a weird frost hit.  Then it did set some fruit, but most dropped off or the bugs got them.  I got exactly 1 peach off the tree that was edible.  it was tasty tho!

That's one more than I got this year. Bloomed late but set a decent amount of fruit but they never got much bigger than a golf ball. Never seemed to ripen either. The Japanese beetles didn't help either!

Sorry to hear you are having an
off year.

Our peach trees are producing. It is their first year with fruit.

I might get enough for ONE pie off of the 4 trees lol-049.gif

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

peach tree is starting to drop its leaves.  one branch is totally blank already.  i looked and did not seem much new growth on it.  i think that will be the next branch to go.

cut off the sick branch that had dropped all it's leaves early.  the outer branches i took off were really soft and looked like they were sick.  i had hub get the recip saw and take the rest of the branch off back toward the trunk.  that end seemed healthy and hopefully we got the sick part off before it infected the rest of the tree.

it does have some 2 year new growth toward the middle from where we took off one of the other branches, so it is still trying.  there is only 1 of the original branches left from when we first arrived.  i know the tree is super old, but hopefully the new growth will let it live a bit longer.

• Like 1

i was outside today (it was 73F here today) and noticed my peach tree was budding out.  ug.  it is the middle of FEB!  we are due below freezing temps friday night and right at freezing saturday night.  i can probably kiss any sort of peaches goodbye for this year.

20200211_155307.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1