The Bayou Gardener Family
ol hippie

Brandywine tomato seed,

Brandywine is one of the tomato varieties I ordered. Anyone have experience with them?

One of my favorite  tomatoes. they taste great. They look odd because the have ridges. they split pretty easy if you over water or water too fast.

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

I have grown the Brandywine Pink and Red.   Both had a great taste, but like mentioned above, they crack easily with heavy rains when they are close to ripe.

I am taking a year off with Heirlooms as the Brandywine and others just seem too wimpy for some reason......and end up with an issue.....disease, blight, bugs.......

Good luck this year with the BW.    I hope they produce well for you.

ccat

I love Brandywine...have grown them for years. I grow them organically but really never have had too terribly many problems with disease, bugs,etc. I love the old fashioned taste.....I may just have lucked out with the lack of many problems, because I do know heirlooms don't have the protections of hybrids. Anyway....try a few and use good methods of ventilation spacing, mulch the ground below,etc. , cut off any diseased looking stems or branches  as they appear,etc. Worth trying to see if you like the taste.

Another one of my favorite tomatoes are Cherokee Purple. Some of the best flavored tomatoes you can grow.

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

I’ve always heard good things about the Cherokee purple. May try them next year. See how the brandy wines do this year. Probably still set out a few Bonnie plants just in case. Bonnie plants don’t seem to be as good as they used to be. 

Bonnie is using growth regulators in Tomatoes and peppers now....if you buy them, I was told to buy their organic ones ONLY to insure no GR's are used.

I have grown them but Iike the Cherokee Purple better for flavor and makes a better shaped tomato.

I had bad luck with my one attempt with Cherokee Purple....I thought a a small mouse had died on one of the leaves. It was not an animal....it was a THING that was gray and fuzzy on top like velvet  and looked like white shiny fat tissue underneath....GROSS!!!   Plus it grew well for about 3 ft and then all all the new leaves were extremely tiny after that.  Other than that the plant looked healthy.  Only got a few tomatoes off of it....were fairly good but nothing to brag about.

i grew cherokee purple for a few years.  they do have outstanding flavor, but take a good while to ripen up.  i would get them in as soon as you can before the heat kicks in.  every year my tomatoes stop doing anything and i just end up watering them until the heat breaks. 

I remember you mentioning the growth regulating in earlier post a little while back. That’s main reason I decided to try some from seed this time. Will have to remember to check bonnies organic varieties. I know my Bonnie tomatoes haven’t done as good these last couple years.

• Like 1

I have similar experience with Brandywine.  I have grown them a couple times.  Super delicious tomato, one of the best I've ever tried, but they are a tad fragile. But, I do live in South La. so our heat and bugs are on the extreme side.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:33 PM, Fred said:

I have grown them but Iike the Cherokee Purple better for flavor and makes a better shaped tomato.

Fred....I have always found that the uglier a tomato,the better it tastes.😀