The Bayou Gardener Family
Maggie13

2020 in the High Tunnel

bugs1.gif Well I got busy and  am a week late on planting the first of my seeds,

I usually plant by the moon you know how it goes:

Waxing moon above ground crops Waning moon for root crops

I planted the following  seeds during the waning moon yesterday afternoon.. hiding.gif

i-pnjNb4f-X2.jpg

i-vXSwSXk-XL.jpg

I still have beets and onions to plant Ya know the ones I am SUPPOSED to plant now under the waning moon. SlapHead.gif I will get to them today.

And so it begins our 2020 growing season.

In October I dug out a couple of pepper plants from the High Tunnel  cut them back and planted them in 6" pots to see if I could keep them going and transplant them back into the garden in the spring..

it worked I even have 3 small peppers  and  several flowers.on  one. 

ONEi-5dbG6pM-X2.jpg

The other one is still alive but no flowers yet.

i-9P7NNJw-L.jpg

• Like 4

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

I can't even think of starting yet. Just got blasted with wind and snow and cold air. Maybe next month. Glad to see you got started.

• Like 1

Maggie, I used to plant by the moon but sometimes the inclement weather just would not allow it. Seems like most times it would be raining....I remember things like out of town company here, one yr catching a late Spring horrible respiratory infection.....but mostly ran would  be the interference. I finally gave up even considering ....I I did accomplish it for 2 yrs. My garden seemed to do fine whether I planted under the moon or not. Let us know if you see a difference in results.....however, you always seem to have wonderful results (not under the moon)....cannot imagine them getting any better!

• Like 1

Pepperman we are supposed to get that snow storm here also. My seedling rack is set up in the sun room so it doesn't hinder me getting a jump on things.The outside temps is 5F right now.

As you know with the HT and raised beds I can plant one to two months ahead of our zone.

Rabbit my Nana ( Mom's Mom) taught me to plant with the moon.She and my Grandpa were dairy farmers.

I will keep you posted if I experience any delays or failures by breaking tradition.

• Like 2

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

UPDATE on the Low Tunnel

Not much to see but I will always show you the failures along with the successes.

The spinach never germinated and only some of the lettuce came up. 100% my fault I started everything to late in the fall.

A couple of cabbage are starting to twist 

i-rPwRxvK-XL.jpg

i-hzdxnG8-XL.jpg

Only ONE broccoli plant made it.

To give you an idea of size it is about the size of a quarter.lol-049.gif

i-br4KqGf-XL.jpg

One row of lettuce is doing very good.I have made a few salads so far.

i-764RWq9-XL.jpg

• Like 5

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Maggie, what are the sides of the tunnel made of? I have heard of people using bubble wrap but that doesn't look like what you have.

Thanks,

Wade

Wade the low tunnel has a  Double bubble reflective 2 sides foil wrap.

i-ZFgkVzZ-M.jpg

• Like 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Cool! You will be able to go with tomatoes and peppers soon with the extra layers! So that will give you an extra 3 zones?

Wade

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Our "Young Plants"  will be ready to be planted in 2 weeks

Since they are in bigger cups now  I don't call them "Seedlings" and I usually refer to them as "Transplants" when I plant them in the ground. What do you call them at this stage? 

Broccoli, Cauliflower and Cabbage 

i-fPPfwNR-X2.jpg

Anaheim, Poblano Peppers, Cauliflower Eggplant Rhubarb Chard and Lacinato kale 

i-PZkvrpB-XL.jpg

• Like 5

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

I just call them plants.  Nice looking plants that are all standing up nicely.  

Ah, I don't see your rhubard chard.  I'm trying a tray of ruby red chard (Southern Exposure Seed Exchange) that just sprouted.  They also list then as rhubard chard but not sure if they are exactly the same.  I have been doing bright lights chard but the red tends to not be a strong red may be more of a pink-redish color.  Not sure it it is the minerals.  I'm looking for a chard with a deep red like a beet green.  

• Like 1

Looks like you are off to a great start Maggie. 

• Like 1

Maggie....sure look like "transplants" to me....all looking good!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Jimmiec said:

I just call them plants.  Nice looking plants that are all standing up nicely.  

Ah, I don't see your rhubard chard.  I'm trying a tray of ruby red chard (Southern Exposure Seed Exchange) that just sprouted.  They also list then as rhubard chard but not sure if they are exactly the same.  I have been doing bright lights chard but the red tends to not be a strong red may be more of a pink-redish color.  Not sure it it is the minerals.  I'm looking for a chard with a deep red like a beet green.  

I will take a better picture showing the rhubarb chard in the Solo cup in the morning.

Here are a few from last year. The stalk and veins are bright red.

i-z7mj7V3-XL.jpg

Edited by Maggie13
  • Like 2

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Jimmiec This is what the Rhubarb Chard  look like right now.

i-WkCDzKL-XL.jpg

The red spines are beautiful in a salad

i-knXrKcX-L.jpg

• Like 3

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Maggie, yes indeed they do look nice, and a very nice looking salad with the red veins too.  I need to plant a couple more trays of them, and will do this weekend.  I hope mine will look that good as I could eat and sell a lot of them.  Unfortunately, nobody want just plain green with a white stem chard but they will pay an extra $1 for a colored stem one for some reason.  At home, we eat a lot of chard creamed, soups, and sauteed.    

I like how small the stems stay.  The bright lights get wide.  We have been trying to use it as a substitute for celery in cooking.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The night time temperatures are still too low to introduce my "Transplants" to the High Tunnel, but I thought an update was due:

In the mix are 

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Cabbage

Rhubarb Chard

Lacinato kale 

i-2G2bWLG-XL.jpg

Iceberg Lettuce:

i-Hf8MVgf-L.jpg

Edited by Maggie13
  • Like 8

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Those are very nice looking plants.

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

Thanks Wade! I hope to get them out to the HT  over the coming weekend.

Thank you BigSkyGardener! Hopefully I can keep the slugs and cabbage moths at bay when they are planted so they continue to look nice.

• Like 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

@Maggie13 you need some dipel dust (Bacillus Thuringiensis (Bt)), to kill those loopers. Works great. I mix mine with water and spray it on lightly. Kills all caterpillars, worms, etc. not harmful to humans, and organic I believe.

Here is a link. Not a bad price.

https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Ag-Dipel-Biological-Insecticide/dp/B004QJ33UU

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

Posted (edited)

Thank BigSky for the suggestion !

I bought a 50 lb bag of it about  8 years ago of BT and it does help. I also use it in my chicken dust bath mixture..

I have  bug netting that helps ward them off also

i-Lf38ddJ-L.jpg

Edited by Maggie13
  • Like 2

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

@Maggie13

I see you are on top of things already.

I am almost finished with a new small fully screened high tunnel. Going to grow lettuce and brassica crops in that this year to keep from having to put anything on them. We will see.

• Like 1