The Bayou Gardener Family
Jimmiec

Potted up tomatoes

I potted up 18 of my tomatoes to 1 gallon pots and have some more in 3.5" pots of tomatoes.  Need more 1 gallon pots that really can not hold a gallon for some reason. 

IMG_20200128_171241.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks ButtaBean.  I want them big by the time they are planted outside, may be in a couple weeks.  Sure would be nice to start harvesting tomatoes in May.  

TwoThumbs%20Up.gifThey look very happy!

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Gene, I have the following tomatoes going:  yellow pear, black cherry, blush, German red strawberry, carbon, kellogs breakfast, pruden's purple, summer de Gallo, Rosa Bella, marglobe, and betalux.  First time doing determinate tomatoes.  The indeterminate tomatoes will mostly be grown lower and lean.  However, I need to find some space to do some in cages since I have some huge cages made from concrete rebar mesh.  Once the caged tomatoes are done, I like to plant cowpeas and let them trellis all over the tomato cages to make a wall of cowpeas.

WOW, Jimmiec!!

I thought I was ahead of the game with my tiny (but sturdy) seedlings, LOL!  Mine are reaching chopstick thickness by the stems, and are staying stocky, since I'm keeping the grow room inside on the cool side.  Didn't want them taking off on me indoors, before the weather could accommodate them outdoors.  Hardening off field trips will begin the week of February 10th, and, transplant is on target for the weekend of February 15th.

GROW ROOM SPRING 2020.jpeg

• Like 8

I'm jealous. Will be just starting seeds on mid -february, in projection with last frost date.

Garden is under 2 inches of snow as of today, melted off a good bit.

jimmiec you plants look amazing!  heck, at this rate you might be harvesting them from the pots.

gymgirl i am always amazed at how on your gardening game you are.  you plan, work it and make it happen!

Difficult to get the correct amount of light on them when they are of different height.

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

All of the plants look good!! I'm so late this year, I should start seeds today. I'm slacking especially with a greenhouse. I'm blaming @Cajun Hydroponics since he hasn't posted videos to motivate me.!!

3 hours ago, Rajun Gardener said:

All of the plants look good!! I'm so late this year, I should start seeds today. I'm slacking especially with a greenhouse. I'm blaming @Cajun Hydroponics since he hasn't posted videos to motivate me.!!

Haha gotta have a place to put the plants @Rajun Gardener

Everytime I am in there's something. Looking at have everything planted in july. Lol 

Oh I know I been slacking on the videos. My fans have been distraught! Lmao

• Like 1

Hey, ya'll!

Last night I worked with those half-filled cups.  I started out just adding more potting mix to fill them to the tops, then, a thought occurred to me.  It didn't matter about the soil on TOP of the existing soil line, because the roots grow DOWN!!! Duh!!!

So, I switched gears (after a whole tray was done).  Instead, I lifted each seedling from its cup and added a handful of potting mix UNDERNEATH the rootball.  I set the plant back in, and tamped loose potting mix down into the sides of the cup, so each was filled, as best as I could get those airholes plugged up.  Something must've gone right, because, I got up in the middle of the night, and just happened to peep into the grow room.  Those plants were ALL standing up at attention, and touching the lights!!!  I had to go in and raise every light in the room!!!

It just made sense to give them more soil underneath the rootball.  If this works, I won't have to switch to larger cups in the future.  And, I'll do it a lot sooner, so the soil is already filled in.  Should make a considerable difference.

• Like 1

@Gymgirl Tomatoes will grow roots from the stems so the soil on top would help. Can't hurt to put more on the bottom though where the existing roots are.

Did the soil mix you added have additional fertilizers in it?

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

BigSkyGardener,

I used Miracle Grow Potting Mix.  Yeah, Yeah, I know, but, it works for me.....additionally, I've been watering these seedlings with a weak formula of 2 Tbsp. of Triple 13 fertilizer to 3 gallons of water, since they got their first set of true leaves.  About every 4th watering was with plain water, to avoid overfertilizing them.  They've done fine on this formula, since they were babes.  The avg. watering was once a week. As they grew, the watering increased to every 2-3 days.  They will being hardening off field trips beginning next Monday, for transplanting into the garden the week of 02/15 to 02/22/2020.

As of this morning, 02/03/2020, after adding the potting mix underneath the root balls.

GROW ROOM as of -02032020.jpeg

Edited by Gymgirl
add'l info added.
  • Like 4

@Gymgirl Those are really nice.

Thanks, guys!

I've sold and distributed all but the final 25 tomato plants.  I also have 8 Mortgage Lifters and 5 Adjvarski pepper plants for myself.  Wasn;t planning on tomatoes in my garden.  Conditions just aren't favorable for growing them in my yard.

Last week, I cleaned out the grow room, and went right back in and seeded five 72-plug trays with okra, assorted peppers, Ga. collards, and two other veggies, the names of which elude me, LOL!

Hoping to get some to the Farmer's Market in six or eight weeks.  The collards will definitely be ready!.  

• Like 1