The Bayou Gardener Family

One of my favorite foods is a good salad.  I currently have some Rouge d' Hiver and Green Romaine out in the garden that I set out on January 22nd.  I picked some for a salad tonight.  I took a picture when I planted it, but not when I picked it.  I was hungry.  I planted it in a grid pattern so it would look nice.

20200122_150627.jpg

• Like 3

Here is what my leaves looked like that we made our salad from.  Oh the dark purple leaves are Okinawa Spinach.   That is a really cool plant by the way.  Very nutritious and a perennial here.

20200130_165526.jpg

• Like 1

I am almost ready to set out some more varieties.  They are, Grand Rapids, Cimmaron, Black Seeded Simpson, Red Romaine, Paris Island Cos and some Arugula. 

Are y'all growing lettuce?  If so what kind?  

Edited by Deus Vult
Cause spell check lied

_cheerleader.gifYUM That looks like the start of a wonderful salad.

Where did you get the seeds for the  Okinawa Spinach? I love spinach

I have started  harvesting a few lettuce leaves from our low tunnel set up.

i-764RWq9-XL.jpg

Edited by Maggie13
  • Like 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Yeah some nice looking lettuce and going to only get better with time. 

Lettuce is one of my favorites to grow.  My lettuce mix is:  Maraichere Tres Fine, Aloha Gem, 21st Century Fire, Lollo de Vino, Red Salad Bowl, and Carmona.  The other one green one in the bottom picture is a spinach that I guess I'm feeding to the flea bettles.  I'm about to plant some arugula for the first time.  

received_849216032205405.jpeg

IMG_20191212_160249.jpg

Edited by Jimmiec
Add pictures
  • Like 3

I love these lettuce pictures.  I am going to have to try those varities this Fall.  

Maggie, you will have to buy either a cutting or a plant as there are no seeds that I am aware of.  I purchased mine on ebay and got one Okinawan Spinach and one Longevity Spinach plant for about 10 bucks?  

• Like 1

I love red sails and salad bowl also the  seeded simpson. It's been record rain here though so nothing going on in the garden.  Over 13 inches so far  in Jan. I hope to start some seed this afternoon in my flats though.  I do love fresh lettuce and the stuff at the store is sort of scary to eat. Those pictures of ya'll's are great looking.

Edited by bordercollie
  • Like 1

The lettuce looks like it is growing very well.  My Arugula has established an area for itself and reseeds itself. It comes up in Oct. with the fall rains. It is already flowering and will get about 3 feet tall. I* let flower for the spring pollinators and beneficial bugs. This is what my wife calls "the weed patch" it is arugula and chickweed.DSCN2805.thumb.JPG.51200653314f1fbcb4f157af24a9a013.JPG

• Like 2

Oh, yeah, speaking of salads Last summer when my wife and I were trying to eat a salad for lunch daily.  we keptp complaining about how long it took to get all the ingredients prepped, up to 20 minutes. So we started prepping every thing ahead of time, chopping /shredding the lettuce, carrots, onions, olives, peppers,cubing ham and chicken, boiling eggs, ect. and putting them in small containers you know the rubbermaid ones that seal good. Then they were scattered all over the fridge always getting pushed to the back and you could not find or even remember them all. So we got a clear plastic container about 14 x 11 inches and just place all the containers in or beside the mother container. Then when we wanted a salad just pull it out make a large salad or small salads with what we wanted at that time.

Every few day  we would chunk anything that old or bad, and reload with fresh.  It worked better than trying to make a fresh salad every day or two. Just an idea.

• Like 3

On 1/31/2020 at 4:16 PM, whitetrouts said:

Oh, yeah, speaking of salads Last summer when my wife and I were trying to eat a salad for lunch daily.  we keptp complaining about how long it took to get all the ingredients prepped, up to 20 minutes. So we started prepping every thing ahead of time, chopping /shredding the lettuce, carrots, onions, olives, peppers,cubing ham and chicken, boiling eggs, ect. and putting them in small containers you know the rubbermaid ones that seal good. Then they were scattered all over the fridge always getting pushed to the back and you could not find or even remember them all. So we got a clear plastic container about 14 x 11 inches and just place all the containers in or beside the mother container. Then when we wanted a salad just pull it out make a large salad or small salads with what we wanted at that time.

Every few day  we would chunk anything that old or bad, and reload with fresh.  It worked better than trying to make a fresh salad every day or two. Just an idea.

Whitestouts....That is exactly why my salads have become simpler and simpler!! LOL....I am down to about 4 ingredients now!  Have been saying that I need to prepare some ingredients ahead of time...we some weeks eat green salad every night. My mother used to do like you. She had broccolli, cauliflower,etc cut up for it too. She made really good and nutritious  salads and always were quick to prepare. Guess I need to get on the stick around here and get to chopping!

• Like 1

Lettuce is really growing fast now.  I talked with a local market gardener and he told me about some cultivars that are his favorite to grow here.  I can't wait to try those this fall.

I currently have about 200 plants and will probably double that for Fall.  

20200227_170924.jpg

• Like 7

I am trying these ones this year. Also cos lettuce and marvel of 4 season. It’s end of summer, early fall down under here. 

6FF2FC95-A1AE-4AA9-BEB5-E765A396E6F8.jpeg

29895DF3-55C0-4388-8714-7CD1AD098265.jpeg

B159686F-B124-42D1-A707-51499F58C71F.jpeg

• Like 7

Every year I wish I would have planted more Buttercrunch Lettuce.  One of these days I'll learn.

20200306_121009.jpg

• Like 2

They are looking great! TwoThumbs%20Up.gif

I love Buttercrunch Lettuce and never plant enough of it either!

• Like 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Salads, either simple or with a lot of ingredients, are tasty!  I grow lettuce for cut and cut again in smaller beer or soda boxes sometimes, just to stop from seding too much for at 1 time.