The Bayou Gardener Family
Sign in to follow this  
Boudin

Grapefruit full of buds

Walked out the other day to find my grapefruit tree full of blooms... In February....

I went ahead and fertilized it and my Satsuma trees.   I'll be curious to see how these buds survive the frost that we will surely get. 

Wonder if it will make more flowers if these early ones bite the dust. 

Edited by Boudin
  • Like 1

They may do ok with a light frost.  I'm hoping we won't get any more here this winter.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 9:21 AM, Boudin said:

Walked out the other day to find my grapefruit tree full of blooms... In February....

I went ahead and fertilized it and my Satsuma trees.   I'll be curious to see how these buds survive the frost that we will surely get. 

Wonder if it will make more flowers if these early ones bite the dust. 

Can you put  sprinklers on it at night, it if a hard frost is predicted like they do those fruit tree farms  in Fla?

• Like 1

I noticed my mandelo or cocktail grapefruit as it's also known, is also in full bloom. It's a hybrid cross between a mandarin hybrid and a pommelo. It a wonderful citrus that looks like a grapefruit but is so sweet and juicy. It has a slight taste of bitterness which comes from the skins of the sections but the rush of juice and sweetness washes it away quickly. Eaten without the section skins, it is excellent.

I grew my tree from seed that I got from a dear friend from California, Richard Watts, who has since gone on to his eternal reward. It took about 8 years to bloom for the first time last year and I almost had written it off. I had two trees, one I planted out in the yard and the second stayed in a pot. I finally got tired of seeing only large thorns on the one planted in the yard so I got rid of it, probably 1 or 2 years too early. The second one, stuck in the corner of the yard grew out the pot and established itself under the shade of a large tree and between my barn and a wooden fence. Since it was out of the way I just left it along. It produced 12 to 15 fruit last fall with tropical storm Barry knocking all but 5 to the ground. This year it has hundreds of blooms. I will be trying to graft buds from it to another citrus I have and have it back into the main yard. While a very different type of citrus it is one to have, much better than a grapefruit. And oh, by the way, the fruit is as large as a grapefruit.

"gene"

• Like 4