The Bayou Gardener Family
ol hippie

.22 to .410

I’ve always carried a .22 cal handgun. Had different ones thru the years but never thought to much about other calibers. Well I’ve been thinking, 😃  the rattlesnake in my yard a couple weeks ago liked to got away from me because I couldn’t hit him. I can’t see as good as I used to. That’s a good excuse anyway. I’m thinking I better start keeping a .410 shotgun with me in utv. I have a couple already. Plus, it’s gotten to where I can’t shoot a .22 in any direction like I used to. I’m not worried still carrying .22 for protection, I can hit in a 6-8” circle at around 5-7 yards but that don’t help hitting a snakes head 

• Like 5

Bazooka, flame thrower, and a Honey Badger.

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

1 hour ago, ol hippie said:

I’ve always carried a .22 cal handgun. Had different ones thru the years but never thought to much about other calibers. Well I’ve been thinking, 😃  the rattlesnake in my yard a couple weeks ago liked to got away from me because I couldn’t hit him. I can’t see as good as I used to. That’s a good excuse anyway. I’m thinking I better start keeping a .410 shotgun with me in utv. I have a couple already. Plus, it’s gotten to where I can’t shoot a .22 in any direction like I used to. I’m not worried still carrying .22 for protection, I can hit in a 6-8” circle at around 5-7 yards but that don’t help hitting a snakes head 

I had an over and under .22/410 I carried for years. Always wished I could find a pistol version of it.

410 is a fine close range weapon for anything from snakes to muggers.  I wouldn't hesitate to start toting one around if you have one. 

The reason for the .410 is that’s about as much kick as my shoulder can take anymore. I’ll still carry my handgun but will put the shotgun in gun rack on good days. 

• Like 1

Remember the 410 also comes in a 2 1/2" shell which is perfect for snakes and any other vermin and it kicks even less that the 3" shell.

"gene"

I have a lever action .410. It only shoots the 2 1/2” shells. I took it behind the house this afternoon and shot it 6 times. 6 less sweet gum balls in that tree now. Going to look at the Savage over/under .22/.410,   but I like this lever action. 

• Like 2

I like a 12 gauge shotgun with bird-shot

Makes it near impossible to miss the target! Peace.gif

• Like 3

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Yep, up til about 5 years ago, a 12 gauge was all I had. Started out hunting deer with buckshot, years of dove shoots, ducks, bear protection in Alaska; probably part of reason my shoulder is like it is now. Ithaca pump. Lots of memories. Think I’m fixing to give it to my youngest grandson. 

• Like 1

Down under the 410 is better known as a Rabbit Bruiser ,But it sure works better than chucking rocks .regards Pete

• Like 1

I have a AK-47 want me to load it to you, 30 round clip should be able to get it, ?

Around here the 410 is not to poplar. I always heard if you can’t handle a 12 gauge you don’t need to be shooting a shotgun. And believe me, some folks loved putting a 12 gauge loaded with a round of double 0 buck in a younguns hands to watch him shoot his first time. 

1 hour ago, ol hippie said:

Around here the 410 is not to poplar. I always heard if you can’t handle a 12 gauge you don’t need to be shooting a shotgun. And believe me, some folks loved putting a 12 gauge loaded with a round of double 0 buck in a younguns hands to watch him shoot his first time. 

Thats always made me angry. There's no use scaring a new young shooter into developing a habit of flinching, might seem funny at the time but its just plain dumb and mean. It can dissuade many a potential sportsman from ever developing.

• Like 1

Oh yeah. Real funny.  I remember that day about 60 years ago just like it was yesterday. 

• Like 1

I started hunting with a 410 single shot Savage crack barrel when I was 7 under my Dads supervision or the first 2 years.  He would not let me shoot anything larger.  I got a 16 ga at about 10 or 11, don't remember the brand name and bought my own 12 ga single shot crack barrel Jefferson at 13.  I wouldn't want to have started with the 12 ga, It was hard enough getting use to it at 13.

That 410 belonged to my uncle.  My 2 brothers and several cousins all broke in with that gun.  

Edited by bigboberta
  • Like 1

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

Killed my first squirrel with a 22/410 when I was 4-5. I couldn't hold the gun up. Mom rested it on her shoulder and I missed with the rifle, then got him with the shotgun. Killed my first rabbit after school in the first grade cutting across the pasture to go help strip tobacco. Saw him sitting and missed with the rifle. He ran a few feet and stopped and I got him with the shotgun!

I love the savage 24s!

Wade

Edited by 1shotwade
  • Like 1

I used to shoot trap and skeet for the high school team when I was in the 8th grade. 12 gauge. Had a purple shoulder all week. Great fun.

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

TwoThumbs%20Up.gifI used to shoot trap also. Still have my  Browning BT-99.

My husband has the Browning Citori over and under for shooting doubles.,

Expensive hobby but a lot of fun.

• Like 2

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

If the 12 gauge is uncomfortable to shoot, I would definitely go with the .410 for snake control. Another option if you want to try it with the 12 gauge is lighter loads. Like Maggie, I have shot tens of thousands of registered targets. I think she and her husband were trap shooters. I am a sporting clay shooter. Twenty years ago, I shot the heaviest loads that we were allowed to shoot by the rules committee. Age caught up with me and (received my first social security check today) and I now shoot a lite target load. I can still shoot 150 rounds in a day of competition and not be bruised. The load makes a huge difference. Buy nothing that says heavy load or max. Choose something that specifically states lite load ( like 7/8 ounce). Makes it much more fun. 

There are four of us that make up a team event and we shoot together regularly. I am the youngest one of the team. We won the Houston Livestock Show, Ranching and Wildlife fundraiser a month ago. We joked with the young guys to hurry and pass out the buckles because none of us could see well enough to drive after dark. 

IMG_1865.JPG

• Like 6

I’ll have the 410 with me when on utv from now on. When not on utv, I will have to make do the best I can with the .22 handgun.

• Like 2

Ol Hippie,

I used to hunt moccasins with  a 22 loaded with rat shot.  Very effective.  Works up to about 15'.

• Like 1

I’ve never shot birdshot at a target to see how it spreads. I’ve shot snakes with it, and have always had a couple in the utv to load when I see a snake. But guess what...I cleaned out the glovebox in utv a little while back and for some reason didn’t put the birdshot back. So the other day, I didn’t have have any shot to use. It’s back in there now. 

Wife and I sitting on back deck late this afternoon. Had the 410 propped up in corner. 4 squirrels goofing around at edge of trees. Been needing to thin some of these squirrels out so thought nows a good time. Shot at 3 different squirrels and ain’t hit one yet. So much for showing off my shooting skills. But I did step it off and it was right close to 42 yards. I told her that’s why I missed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

At least you scared them off!! Now they know that you mean business!!

• Like 1