The Bayou Gardener Family
whitetrouts

COVID-19 outbreak

Well if we are talking about the coronavirus we may as well have a thread. I get my numbers from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ .  I trust some of the numbers, but not the ones from China. What worries me now is that the number of cases that have blown up in Iran this week. Iran has spread the virus to 5 other countries. I fear they are prepping to send some infected "travelers" our way. Or to Mexico/Canada and let it just spread to people at border crossings. It would be easy to do.

If the number of cases starts to shoot up here, then I guess I will go and get a couple of 25lb sacks of rice and a bunch of  beans, also cans spam and pringles, that stuff last forever. 

The stock market is just starting to wake up to this, as the outbreaks worsens the market will be shocked.

I hope this thing dies out soon, cause I am starting to get a bit obsessed with it.

• Like 3

I still believe that the virus impact will not be that bad. The economic impact of loss of the supply chain may continue to be a problem for a few years.

And they "used to" make fun of preppers. 🙂

• Like 1

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

China has always been where most deadly things and new concerns about such originate. They must do a ton of research on biologic weapons in their labs without efficient safety measures. I guess with a population of 1.4 billion they don't worry about losing hoards and hoards of people. They have always been like a pesky but very dangerous mosquito in the world  that one cannot swat. China/Iran scratch each other's back....wonder how Iran is feeling about this new "bug" China has exported to them?  China has NEVER told the truth about the mortality numbers when it comes to the various "plagues" that always seem to originate there.....why should we believe them now?  In cases where there is absolutely not a thing in this world that I can do to change it's course, I try not to worry about it. I do pray....now that is something I CAN do about it!!

• Like 1

It is very scary about this outbreak and the potential that it has. While anyone with sound judgement should be concerned,  gnashing of the teeth will do no good. Staying healthy and being prepared is always common sense. I did read some information about a Harvard professor being arrested a short time ago and apparently he was caught lying to the government about receiving $50,000/month form the Chinese. He works at the University's Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology. There were also two Chinese arrested, one of which was smuggling 21 vials of chemical biological substances. 

These are dangerous times and it never ceases to amaze me how many people go around with their head in the sand. End of conspiracy theory for now. Stay tuned!

IMG_0503.PNG

Edited by Double B
Forgot attachment

Double B....I read about this guy the other day. This sort of thing has gone on for years and years. Nothing good could ever come of such. I have a punishment in mind for this guy....it is unprintable!

Thankfully, Obama failed to give us a Chinese style healthcare system.  Ours still functions at an extremely high level.  I have no worries at all of any kind of an outbreak event in the good ole USA.  There is a long list of Asian super duper end of the world  viruses that failed to gain a toe hold here, and I don't expect that to change.   I'm far more concerned about the trade imbalances and the impact on my 401K, which has been making money like a printing press ever since Trump got in office.   Shipping off all our manufacturing capacity is the real problem here.

• Like 2

Your best bet is to hurry up and get it. If you survive you are golden. If everyone gets it quickly it has less time to mutate before failing.

CDC just announced that everyone needs to prepare for this thing NOW.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

2 hours ago, Boudin said:

Thankfully, Obama failed to give us a Chinese style healthcare system.  Ours still functions at an extremely high level.  I have no worries at all of any kind of an outbreak event in the good ole USA.  There is a long list of Asian super duper end of the world  viruses that failed to gain a toe hold here, and I don't expect that to change.   I'm far more concerned about the trade imbalances and the impact on my 401K, which has been making money like a printing press ever since Trump got in office.   Shipping off all our manufacturing capacity is the real problem here.

Boudin,  I don't have the same faith in the medical system as you. I remember one flu outbreak about 12 years ago an "Aunt Hattie" fell and broke her hip. She went to one of the main hospitals here by ambulance, they looked at her in the E.R. said all hospitals full from flu, and sent her back home, 86 years old with a broken hip until a room becomes available in a few days.  I remember FEMA at the super dome. I saw FEMA in Puerto Rico after the hurricanes. FEMA and the CDC will be working together to protect us.  

I know you know how to prepare and get thru this.I have seen your old garden videos. But,  I told my daughter today that IF things go south, and her work closes, or if the state starts shutting down school, universities, ect. to leave the town she is in, leave her apartment and come home.

They say that this virus has only a 2% death rate, but almost 20% of the people go into serious/critical condition. 80,000 cases total so far. 50,000 are still sick, 30,000 cases "closed" . Of the closed cases 27,900 have recovered--- 2,711 died.  That is around 10% the way I see it. 

• Like 1

My grandmother was one of the few in her immediate area in Ms to survive Spanish flu in 1918.....they had NO decent medical facilities. It killed 28% of the world population, if I remember correctly.....worse numbers than the Bubonic Plague. It was quite the horror! She had a 2 yr old and a 3 yr old and her husband at home....no one else caught it in the family so am assuming she was quarantined.

• Like 5

All my kids will come to my house if things get stupid. I have the ability to ride out a fairly long storm.

• Like 3

I am looking at the covid-19 numbers this morning.  America has had 233 cases so far, There are 210 active cases, 9 people have recovered, 14 people have died.  It strikes me that MORE people have died than have recovered. I know these are early numbers, but I do hope they get much better.  I don't recall who said the phrase "situational awareness" but they are right.

• Like 3

Most people who died were immune compromised....which also being elderly  is considered immune compromised in their stats, I think.  Of the 210 still active case most were considered mild as of my last reading. This is not something the older folks would cherish the thought of  catching for sure....but actually I would not want the flu at my age, either. Just use common sense as you would in any cold/flu season...and hope and pray for the best!! Corona is vulnerable to heat....come on Spring!!!

• Like 3

I was chatting with my kids pulmonologist.   She said that this is not something normal healthy Americans need to worry about.  It is just going to be another flu strain making the rounds.  However, if you are elderly or have underlying health conditions then it might take you out of the game just like the regular flu would.

• Like 1

I'm supposed to be flying home from WY on Friday...I'm a little concerned about the airport being a cesspool, but there isn't too much I can do about it. I'll just have to scrub my paws and cross my fingers!

Virginia Gardner.....My brother always took echinacea and sucked on zinc lozenges before his many flights during the flu season. Would also  take for a day or so  after each flight. He did very well doing so. Gaia or Blue Bonnet are the best echinacea...He took Natures Plus zinc and thought  that brand worked well.  Of course wash your hands and don't touch your face......I wish you a safe and very healthy trip!!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rabbitproof said:

Virginia Gardner.....My brother always took echinacea and sucked on zinc lozenges before his many flights during the flu season. Would also  take for a day or so  after each flight. He did very well doing so. Gaia or Blue Bonnet are the best echinacea...He took Natures Plus zinc and thought  that brand worked well.  Of course wash your hands and don't touch your face......I wish you a safe and very healthy trip!!

Thank you for the advice; I'll certainly look into those products!

• Like 2

The economic impact continues this week, Oil prices collapsed this weekend, wild swings in the Stock market are following. "interesting times" are here.

Should  benefit the middle class....lower mortgage rates, low gas prices.

39 minutes ago, Rabbitproof said:

Should  benefit the middle class....lower mortgage rates, low gas prices.

Yes.  Good investment opportunities right now also if you are sitting on some disposable cash.

• Like 1

Yes if you can pick the right investment at the right time, ( I can't).  Maybe some good land. 

Googled the price of COVID-19 test, It is hard to find a "right" answer. It seems if you go to the hospital it run $1,000. and up depending on other tests with it. Imagine a family of 5 with private insurance, their bill would be ridiculous.

I hate to say it but this feels like there is a great big Cape Verde storm, Cat-4,  rolling across the Atlantic Ocean, heading my way, but there is no place to evacuate to. You just have to wait and watch it build.  Have a good day.  🙂

I think things will be ok, Whitetrouts....and private insurance always did me quite well before my Medicare....excellently , as  a matter of fact, for anything I ever needed. Besides,I think if the Corona turns out to be the "pandemic" they keep trying to  make it, then you should not worry about the test or paying for it post acquiring. Believe me, the  hospitals will not push for payment if a true pandemic occurs....ha, they cannot seem to get hospital bills correct now, much less deal with  the billing/collection  if a pandemic occurs!!   Children seem to be  immune to the Corona (none infected, so far, to my knowledge)....however, the  regular flu this yr has been very contagious to kids so still that concern, as usual inmost years.. Good luck with any investments....my brother who constantly studies and watches stocks is licking his chops right now. I think he usually has pretty good luck picking the right ones. My money right now is ear marked for more tangible things....unfortunately????

• Like 1

This is floating around on Facebook. People are saying Sylvia Browne predicted Corona. I'm not sure of the facts of this. Just wanted to share with those that may not be on Facebook.

coronavirus_prediction_in_book-x675.jpg

• Like 2

Every couple years, in an election year, seems to be the new trend of outbreak timings. 

20200310_174328.png

• Like 2

My brother just sent me a  list of what the doctor says who worked on the Corona virus originally in 1970.(and continued to study it's variants.) says we must all do to prevent acquiring it.  LOL..I have decided to never leave my house again....would be easier!! Gloves for the gas pump and ALL shopping. Gloves to use the pen on those card machines at checkout, of course. Wipe down all surfaces in your home with alcohol or disinfectants.....OFTEN!   Never open a door with your hand....use your hips or backs of the hands. Wear a face mask  when out so you do not  accidently touch your mouth or nose. Use hand sanitizer when entering a store and when leaving....then go home and wash your hands for at least 20 seconds in warm soapy water. Sneeze into a tissue....or in your sleeve and then wash the shirt in hot water, as the germs stay on for a week or more.  He did not mention cleaning steering wheels...must have had a brain blip. He said Corona would lighten up here and there,  but we would be plagued with it each year.... it is not going away.  Said it was it was extremely contagious. Well, folks , after reading this, I am going to go lick a shopping cart handle and just get the Hell over with quickly. No way my husband is going to accomplish all the various safety measures, and he is around TONS of people every day. Good heavens, I would be wiping down every surface in here every day to stay ahead of him and his many Corona faux pas'.😁   Hey, I don't know about y'all but to live like this guy claims we should  would NOT be a life.  I say just wash hands and don't touch the face. And always, pray often!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Butta Bean -  If we had a such a thing as POST OF THE YEAR.  I would nominate you right now.

• Like 1